Sunday, February 19, 2017

Blog Assignment IV - Engagement

Module VI

Summary
This week we read about engaging the learner in an online environment.  A model that we saw in the reading that illustrated a way to engage learners is to combine constructivist approaches, like allowing students to learn through exploration of their own interests, with problem-based learning strategies.  This type of model can help to ensure that students are interested in what they are learning and that there is value in it.  Which leads me to the other item we covered this week, the lecture on the importance of Relevance.  Students will not learn easily or will not retain the information learned if they do not find the information or reason for learning it relevant to themselves or their lives.

Item of Interest
I think I have touched on both the engaging of learners in an online environment and the importance of relevance in my course outline.  I incorporated a self-assessment that students would use to rate their own level of participation.  I feel that this can really help a student stay motivated and engaged, particularly those students who like to see perfect grades, because if they are honest with themselves, they will see patterns where scores correlate with the amount of effort expended.  The importance of relevance comes into play with the collaborative project that will culminate in a mock job interview in the target language.  The students will garner useful and relevant information, tips and ideas about what could actually happen in a job interview.

Problem or Concern
My concern this week is simply that I do not know all of the mechanics behind a virtual session.  I am blindly assuming that there is a way to set up virtual sessions with students from my class and the collaborating class overseas, albeit with a need for consideration of the time difference.

Thank you,
Vic Lakso

2 comments:

  1. Vic,
    I didn't think about the self assessments being a way to keep students engaged. I think the collaborate group sessions would be great. I think it would be hard trying to collaborate through different time zones but if you ask up front it may be something that can be overcome. I think the technical part shouldn't be too bad. There may be some tutorials you could find to help you set it up.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete